Check out Popwife.com

Toni Braxton has a 'Pulse'

Popwife.com's got VIDEOS

Lebron's Mom Did it. Yeah

Pages

Vibe Magazine ends with a thud

Wednesday, July 1, 2009


Vibe had me at hello.
The sudden closure of the magazine yesterday struck me because it was never allowed to say 'goodbye.'
I remember when the magazine debuted in the early 1990s as a slick, long treasure trove of urban cultural hotness.
Vibe's claim to fame back in the day was its mixture of "hard" news journalism (courtesy of Jessie Washington, where is he?) and entertainment glam: photo shoots, music pieces and breaking new artists.
Its finest moment was also its most controversial. Kevin Powell's piece on who shot Tupac garnered the magazine praise outside of its circles. Of course Tupac Shakur was an interviewer's dream. He'd go off on tangents, name names, and didn't mind do-do-ing on the biggest names in hip-hop at the time: Puff Daddy and the Notorious B.I.G.
Alas, but Vibe lost its way shortly after that. Hip-hop became a bigger focus as a slew of rap magazines launched in the mid to late 1990s. Vibe became just another "rap rag" although it always thought of itself as more.
Hopefully we can see the "vibe" in another manifestation next time.

2 comments:

LaBellaVida said...

I shake my fist at them. lol I want my $6 back. I only got 4 issues and the first ones didn't even come on time. I had december in January and January in Feb....you get it.

July 1, 2009 at 6:51 PM
CraigJC said...

Dag. That's too bad. Ask Quincy Jones for a refund!

July 2, 2009 at 7:33 PM
 

2009 ·Popwife Blog by TNB